Patient X

Year1994
CategoryMedicine
CountriesUnited States
DescriptionThis prize is awarded in two parts. First, to Patient X, formerly of the US Marine Corps, valiant victim of a venomous bite from his pet rattlesnake, for his determined use of electroshock therapy -- at his own insistence, automobile sparkplug wires were attached to his lip, and the car engine revved to 3000 rpm for five minutes. Second, to Dr. Richard C. Dart of the Rocky Mountain Poison Center and Dr. Richard A. Gustafson of The University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, for their well-grounded medical report "Failure of Electric Shock Treatment for Rattlesnake Envenomation."
Reference"Failure of Electric Shock Treatment for Rattlesnake Envenomation.", Annals of Emergency Medicine, vol. 20, no. 6, June 1991, pp. 659-61.